Does your baby cry everyday uncontrollably and you are failing to understand the reason? Have you tried everything from feeding to diaper change but all of it has gone to vain? Well, then it is high time that you should get your baby checked for colic. Crying is the only way of communication for the babies and being a parent, you are biologically eligible to understand their needs.
What is colic?
Colic is not a disease, it is basically a combination of behaviors among babies. This is quite common among infants so there is no need to be gravely worried. This behavior comes to a halt as your little one grows up. It is very hard to calm a colicky baby. They tend to burst out at any time, even in the middle of the night and do not stop crying easily.
But the good news is that the baby colic does not last long. It might stop suddenly or end gradually.
What are the causes of colic babies?
The exact causes of colic is still a mystery. However, some of the probable causes found after extensive research include:
- Small babies have over-sensations to different types of simulations. To release stress, they tend to cry.
- They might have a weak digestive system that can cause irritations.
- Acid reflux is another reason which is quite common among infants.
It has been found that mothers who smoke during and after pregnancy period, tends to have a colic baby.
What are the symptoms?
Some of the Top Neonatologist in Medanta S.N Super Speciality Hospital have confirmed the symptoms of colicky baby, which include:
- The crying would last for at least three hours at a stretch
- This would occur at least thrice a week
- It would occur for at least three weeks together
Some doctors also say that -
- Crying occurs at the same time every day
- There is no reason behind the crying
- Pulling up of legs, fist-clenching, etc.
- Increase in bowel movements
- Eating and sleeping disruptions
How is colic different from ordinary crying?
Doctors at the Best Paediatrics Hospital have confirmed the difference between Colic and Ordinary crying. In the prior case, the baby keeps on crying inconsolably, and it turns to a scream gradually. It might last for 3 hours or longer.
How do you manage colic?
Seeing your little bundle of joy cry uncontrollably can break your heart.
But do not feel guilty, with the given strategies, you would be able to soothe a colic baby. You can try each of these tips mentioned below, and see which one works for your baby.
- You should respond to your crying baby and console them as the surrounding stimulus can be quite out of control for them. Limit the number of visitors for your child and create a calm environment around them.
- In case you think they are having gastric issues, you can try applying some gentle pressure on their tummy. Also, try to make your baby burp and consider giving probiotics after consulting with your pediatrician.
- It is equally important to watch what you eat as your infant would breastfeed you and if you have too much spicy food, then it can upset the stomach of your newborn as well.
Even though there is no apparent cure for a colic baby, it is a great idea to consult your doctor once. This is important to understand whether they are facing digestive distress or are oversensitive to stimuli. They can also help you with a few more soothing strategies. They would also be able to confirm whether your baby is suffering from any other medical condition or not.